6 replies to this topic

#1 Computerselaine

Computerselaine

Chatterbox

• Free User
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 03:00 PM

I have just been buying a few presents and was thinking about opening times for businesses over the festive period. As a small business based at home I will personally take the bank holidays off, but knowing my husband (and MD!) he will probably come into the office and work on some projects that are in process at the moment.

I was wondering what do you do over Christmas, do you close down for 1-2 weeks like some businesses do or do you work right the way through? Do you think you deserve some time off or do you have deadlines that need to be met?

All opinions are welcome! :P
Regards,
Elaine

Convallis Software http://www.convallissoftware.co.uk - 'Helping your business to do more business.'

#2 AccountingBasics

AccountingBasics

• Premium User
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 03:58 PM

It all depends on your type of business and what you can afford to do.

My business works around the children, so when they are off school I tend to not get very much done. The publishing business just runs itself and books continue to sell all around the world. Our website affiliates and Google advertising, still continues. The one disadvantage is that new content tends to not get added during the holidays.

Once the kids go back to school, I normally have some fresh ideas and ready to get back to work.
FREE Business Accounting Basics support for the small business - www.BusinesssAccountingBasics.co.uk

Posted Image

#3 Computerselaine

Computerselaine

Chatterbox

• Free User
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 04:10 PM

I have the same issue with children. Although my eldest is 17, my youngest is 9 and particularly at Christmas it's nice to have a bit of time off. I forgot to say in my last post that during school holidays in general we try and take a day a week off to spend with the children. This is possible for us as we have an employee that can cover 'phones etc when we aren't there and if there are any major problems we always have our mobiles with us.
Regards,
Elaine

Convallis Software http://www.convallissoftware.co.uk - 'Helping your business to do more business.'

#4 AdvertBike

AdvertBike

• 202 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 09:42 AM

It depends for us really - This is our first Christmas. Although our printers will be closed, I think if any jobs come in and we have the posters / banners already, then we will be out and about.

At the end of the day, I expect there will be loads of people out 'Sale' shopping, which will be the perfect advertising opportunity for us .

#5 Computerselaine

Computerselaine

Chatterbox

• Free User
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 10:14 AM

Thanks for the reply, a lot of what happens totally depends on what sort of business you're in so possibly a perfect chance for you at AdvertBike. :-)
Regards,
Elaine

#6 JamesHobbs

JamesHobbs

• Premium User
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 09:54 AM

Definitely a difficult choice to make for small business owners. I suppose it's a balance between actually being able to take the time off and getting a much needed break!
Regards,

James Hobbs

#7 Computerselaine

Computerselaine

Chatterbox

• Free User
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 03:35 PM

Definitely a difficult choice to make for small business owners. I suppose it's a balance between actually being able to take the time off and getting a much needed break!

That is so true!
Regards,
Elaine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Company Information

About us
Privacy Policy
Terms & Conditions
Contact us

Partner Links

Entrepreneur Connect
Talk Business Magazine
BizBritain
Matt Gubba