Photo

Marathon Running and Road Races

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 AdvertBike

AdvertBike

• 202 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 02:20 PM

Inspired by a recent group email I received from a LinkedIn Group "Running in Business" - Does anyone run marathons or road races ?

If so, would anyone be intersted in listing any local Marathons, Half Marathons or any other road races here which in this thread for forum members who may travel to and meet up ?

#2 Matt Gubba

Matt Gubba

Founder

• Administrator
  • 281 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 02:30 PM

As much as i would love to Paul, i think running a marathon would actually kill me :lol:

Do you partake in quite a few then?

#3 AdvertBike

AdvertBike

• 202 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 02:45 PM

As much as i would love to Paul, i think running a marathon would actually kill me :lol:

You would be suprised. Thats what I thought 3 years ago, but then like anything else, start of slowly and build up. Running helps with stress and believe it or not relaxes you.

Do you partake in quite a few then?

Quite a few, alot tend to be small road races. However, last year I did Warrington Half Marathon, Blackpool Half Marathon, a few 15k's and this Sunday I am running a small 5K Santa Dash in Liverpool - The only stipulation of entering is you need to be dressed as Santa. No Santa uniform, no run ! Should be a laugh as there are 8000 santas running :lol:

Next year, I will be running Manchester Marathon in April 2012

Later on in December, I will also be a licenced running coach with UK Athletics :thumbup: :clap:

#4 AdvertBike

AdvertBike

• 202 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 11:37 PM

At least you have now taken the first step to starting to run - and you now have my plan to run 30 mins non stop in 8 weeks, let us know your progress ? :thumbup: :clap:

And I am asking the rest of the forum members to give you words of encouragement. :thumbup: :wave: :clap: :angel: :D :mrgreen:

Well Done Mate

#5 AccountingBasics

AccountingBasics

• Premium User
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 09:28 AM

You can do it Matt if you really want to. Just go out on a regular basis and you will improve your running each time - at least that is what my husband tells me. He is out on the Coventry Park run as I write this. He took up running last year after being very unfit and overweight, he has now lost 5 stone and loves running.

But all to their own I have never enjoyed running unless it is chasing the kids around.
FREE Business Accounting Basics support for the small business - www.BusinesssAccountingBasics.co.uk

Posted Image

#6 Matt Gubba

Matt Gubba

Founder

• Administrator
  • 281 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 11:08 AM

Thanks guys!

I'll be trying my best to work to Paul's running plan for the next 8 weeks, I'll keep you updated.

Think I'm a little while away from marathon running, but you never know one day!

Matt

#7 WoodsSquared

WoodsSquared

• Premium User
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 11:35 AM

I ran my first marathon in Liverpool in October last year and I've now caught the bug!

I'm aiming to run 2 in 2012 to raise money for Claire House (a local children's hospice) with Edinburgh in May being the first.

Great to have something as a target to aim for.

Alan
Alan

Alan Woods FCCA
Director

WoodsSquared - Follow us on Twitter, Like us on Facebook or Connect on LinkedIn

Woods Squared Limited 49 Hamilton Square Birkenhead Wirral CH41 5AR
Telephone 0151 649 8456 Facsimile 0151 649 8453
E-mail info@woods-squared.co.uk Website www.woods-squared.co.uk

#8 AdvertBike

AdvertBike

• 202 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 02:53 PM

Hi Alan,

I very nearly ran Liverpool in Oct instead of a mate of mine didnt think he would be fit enough. However, with a little bit of encouragement he made it. I was dissapointed I didnt run, but to see a mate of mine come in with a great time, who I had coached was a great experience for me :thumbup: - I think almost better than finishing myself :clap:

So you are running Edinburgh in May, where are you planning ro run for your Second ?

I have got loads going on this year, Manchester Marathon in April, a couple of halfs in Southort and Blackpool, a few local 10K's and I will be running Warrington half again in Sept + plus of course my own coaching and setting up of a local running club, aimed at beginners :D to get more people running in this Olympic year :thumbup: :clap:

#9 WoodsSquared

WoodsSquared

• Premium User
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 02:04 PM

Hi Paul

Not sure about the second marathon yet - might look for one a little further afield later in the year or failing that I'll do the Chester Marathon in October

Sounds like you'll have plenty to keep you busy :-)
Alan

Alan Woods FCCA
Director

WoodsSquared - Follow us on Twitter, Like us on Facebook or Connect on LinkedIn

Woods Squared Limited 49 Hamilton Square Birkenhead Wirral CH41 5AR
Telephone 0151 649 8456 Facsimile 0151 649 8453
E-mail info@woods-squared.co.uk Website www.woods-squared.co.uk

#10 Matt Gubba

Matt Gubba

Founder

• Administrator
  • 281 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 06:46 PM

Hi Guys!

Just a quick update... been a bit quiet on here the last few days, been insanely busy!

I've been following your plan Paul - great stuff (also been mixing it up with a bit of H.I.I.T training) feeling like I'm getting back into shape already.

Going to try and cover further distance next week and see how i get on.

Matt

#11 AdvertBike

AdvertBike

• 202 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 08:14 AM

Good Morning,

Glad to hear you are getting on ok :clap: - Remember, dont do to much at once !

Dont forget your stretches at the end of your sessions :thumbup:

Any events planned this year ? Or is it to early days :silent: :mrgreen:

#12 Matt Gubba

Matt Gubba

Founder

• Administrator
  • 281 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 08:20 AM

Don't worry, I've been making sure i warm up and cool down properly ;)

Nothing really planned yet, although possibly a 3 mile charity run in march that my girlfriend wants to do!

Matt

#13 AccountingBasics

AccountingBasics

• Premium User
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 10:03 AM

Matt

Why don't you see if there is a local 5K park run near you, they take place every weekend all around the country. My husband sometimes does the local on and last weekend he did one in Reading near our parents. He has said they are great as all abilities attend, you get an official time and it is fun running with others.

Keep up the good training.

Angela
FREE Business Accounting Basics support for the small business - www.BusinesssAccountingBasics.co.uk

Posted Image

#14 AdvertBike

AdvertBike

• 202 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 03:31 PM

Hows the running going Matt ?

I ran 10:21 miles yesterday in 1:58:24 with a 11:35 pace, then took my starters running group out this morning for 2.5 mile (3 mins running, with a 1 min walk) (3 weeks in) - I have got to say, they ran better than I did this morning. :thumbup:

My old knee problem has come back and the pain is not good :(

#15 Matt Gubba

Matt Gubba

Founder

• Administrator
  • 281 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 09:49 AM

Hi Guys,

Yes still on the running!

Angela - Me and my girlfriend are entering a local 5k charity run in March :)

Paul - Good stuff, 10 miles is pretty impressive! Sorry to hear about the knee...hope it gets better soon mate.

Matt

#16 jonathan

jonathan

• Free User
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 12:52 PM

Guys - Maybe I can help with this ?

Amongst other things, I am a qualified athletics coach

If you are planning something - PM me your training plan/schedule and I will take a gander. :@

#17 Matt Gubba

Matt Gubba

Founder

• Administrator
  • 281 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 10:00 AM

Thanks Jonathan! Wow, everyone else seems to be super fit here :lol:

Need to do some catching up!

#18 Gillian Pearson

Gillian Pearson

• Premium User
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 11:45 PM

Good luck Paul and Matt and you're girlfriend with you're up and coming races. Sure you'll all do great!

If you'd like a trial sample of a few of H24 products that'd be ideal to help you train just let me know and I'll get them posted!

Cheers Gillian :thumbup:
Regards
Gillian

01914138599 / 07921669155
gillian@getwellness.co.uk

http://www.getwellness.co.uk FOR HEALTH!
http://www.getwealthiness.co.uk (Tour Code 26478) FOR WEALTH!
http://www.facebook....llnessNorthEast LIKE MY PAGE
http://www.Discover....portunity.co.uk Just curious about company, products or biz ?

#19 AdvertBike

AdvertBike

• 202 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 10:19 PM

Hi

Thanks for the offer Gillian, I will send you a PM.

I am now into heavy training and long runs in preperation for Manchester Marathon on 29th April - Also, various other sport related things in the pipeline - very exciting times. Oh, and AdvertBike - will we are now just short of going national due to high demand :)

Seriously, not enough hours in the day.

Will catch up soon

Cheers

Paul

#20 CorpDC

CorpDC

• Free User
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 12:46 PM

Hi All - new to this but just to keep you in the loop. Although only started marathons last year, VLM & Snowdonia, I have 5 booked this year Event 5M for http://thesimsonfoundation.org/ so please take a look at the events page. Some really exciting events in the pipeline. Love it!!! Feedback, referral, sponsorship & donation all welcome...phew got the pitch out!
Thanks & have a great day.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Company Information

About us
Privacy Policy
Terms & Conditions
Contact us

Partner Links

Entrepreneur Connect
Talk Business Magazine
BizBritain